33 Things About Me04/21/2013 - Author: Jennifer - 9 Comments
I enjoy reading lists from people that tell a little bit about themselves. I saw a blogger do this for their birthday, so I thought I would give it a try. So, for my birthday, I give you 33 things about me. If you guess my age, congratulations! I don’t have a prize, but I like to say congratulations to you anyway. Hope you enjoy.
- I am so bad at parallel parking that I will walk 1/2 mile if needed to avoid it.
- I have never seen: Pride and Prejudice, Les Mis, all of The Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Sense and Sensibility and probably a lot of other movies that a lot of other gals have watched. I have tried to watch some of these, but I just can’t do it. History is boring to me. You really shouldn’t live in the past either.
- I struggle with inadequacy and jealousy due to low self-esteem. I always feel like I miss the mark or getting something just right is just out of reach.
- I LOVE to encourage others and when I do, I do it honestly. Nothing fake here. I have been known to send a hand-written card and even use the postal service once in awhile. Yes, old-fashioned, but still appreciated.
- If I ask your opinion, I expect an honest answer. Crazy?
- I enjoy people watching. It really is a lot of fun. My favorite thing I witnessed? Airport proposal. The guy was calm, the new bride-to-be was calm, but her friend. Oh.my. She kept screaming “oh my gosh!” over and over again. I wanted to remind her she DID NOT get engaged, but her friend did. I decided to bite my tongue and let them figure it all out.
- I never needed alone time until I became a mom. So, I need to thank my son for helping me teach the value of quiet time. I can go to the movies and cafes by myself and not feel at all self-conscious. However…..
- I love to be around my girlfriends–they give me energy and uplift my spirits.
- Reese’s Peanut Butter cups are my FAVORITE! Better than any gourmet chocolate out there.
- Things I hate– arrogance, lying, people being taken advantage of, favoritism, and cliques.
- I love football. My husband and I are bored during off-season. Baseball is a close second, but I need to be in the stands to enjoy the game. To celebrate 10 years of marriage, we went to see the Boston Red Sox play. For me to see Fenway Park was a dream come true. I am hoping to make it to Chicago to see Wrigley Field.
- I love to talk, but am getting better at listening. I have heard (when I wasn’t talking) that smart people are better listeners, so I hope I am doing better.
- I love sarcasm, but a lot of people I talk to don’t like it. I usually keep my mouth shut for fear of being taken the wrong way. I won’t lie, it bums me out to not use sarcasm, but too many awkward silences has broken my spirit.
- I am a mom who doesn’t own a minivan, and I can’t imagine ever owning one.
- My husband is the next-to-last man I thought I would marry. The last? His brother.
- My son forced me to learn to cook. I always thought we would eat out. Reality hit when my son was born. I still NEED recipes, but I am better
- I am mostly vegetarian. (No, I do not have a condition). What will break me? Grouper reuben from a place on Anna Maria Island. It can’t be helped.
- I used to think that if you wanted to have a girls vacation, you were selfish. Now? I wish I could take one. So on that note–I need to learn not to judge.
- I LOVE TO TRAVEL and would do it more often if $$$$ was not stopping me.
- I was home-schooled my high school years.
- I need to be needed.
- I love meeting new people.
- I am not crafty and I don’t care. I don’t enjoy it. I have tried scrapbooking, but I just can’t do it.
- I can not run. I admire runners and I have tried, but I can’t.
- I love being a boy mom. I didn’t want a daughter because I thought it would be easier to have a son. Well, I can’t compare and I can’t complain
- My son was born 8 weeks early and we don’t know why. Apparently, I am not a good hostess. Me and my uterus have never gotten along.
- On hospitality~~ I used to be better at it, but since moving, I feel I have lost this gift. Maybe I surrendered it?
- It doesn’t take much for me to be star-struck. I get excited meeting an author or seeing the local meteorologist at the store. Not.kidding. I do however think that I keep myself together, but you would need to ask those I have met.
- I used to not put much thought into what I wore, but now I put more thought into it since I became a stay-at-home mom. I didn’t want to fall into the lazy/too tired/frump trap. I still am not girly-girly, but since I have discovered big earrings, I rarely leave the house without them.
- I would hate living in the country. I love living in the suburbs. I like having my neighbors close and my yard small. I don’t like landscaping. The less work needed, the better. I think I would do well in a city, but the suburbs will do.
- I like small houses. I have never lived in anything bigger than 1200 square feet. I don’t have a basement (which is unheard of where I live). Give me bigger, and I will fill with junk or hold on to stuff that I don’t need. I would hate to be labeled a hoarder. Also, see above comment about less work.
- Whenever someone gives me a compliment, I really don’t know how to respond. I usually question the authenticity of it. Maybe because I am honest with my encouragement and compliments? Why does it make me uncomfortable to receive compliments?
- I was raised in a some-what legalistic way. Don’t get me wrong, there is right and wrong, but love and grace were usually missing from the equation. I am getting better.
So there you have it. Thanks for stopping by and, of course, be blessed:)